We derived our logo from an image appearing on a Mimbres black-on-white Style III ceramic bowl that an unknown artisan created about 1000 years ago at some time between 1000 C.E. and 1150 C.E. Avocational archaeologists Harriet and Burton Cosgrove excavated the bowl from the Swarts Ruin in Grant County, New Mexico, during the 1920s shortly before the time the Grant County Archaeological Society was first formed.
According to archaeologist Steven A. LeBlanc in his book "Painted by a Distant Hand" (Harvard Press, 2004), the image on this bowl is of "...a rabbit...shown together with a distinctive carved stick that looks superficially like a sword but was probably used by Mimbres men ceremonially or as a badge of office. Judging from archaeological finds of such swordlike carved sticks, the rabbit and stick are correctly proportioned relative to each other...."
Previously, in 1982 Fred Kabotie (a celebrated and multitalented Hopi painter, potter, author, and curator) opined the image may have represented a rabbit clan, with the ceremonial stick or knife symbolizing that group's role as guardians.
Still other archaeologists and ethnologists observe that images of rabbits are associated with phases of the moon in Mesoamerica's Precolumbian cultures including the Maya; and some researchers have opined that the Mimbreño culture appears to have done the same.
The Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts possesses the original bowl.